The National Honor Society is a national organization that gives guidelines to each chapter regarding member selection. Four characteristics form the basis for the society: scholarship, character, service, and leadership.
The National Honor Society foundational pillars are that of Character, Service, Leadership, and Academics. Students must meet the all four requirements in order to be inducted into NHS. Students must first meet the academic eligibility requirements in order to begin the application process.
The application form is not to be filled out quickly. The application form seeks to find out from students to what degree they meet the four pillars of NHS. Only students that are able to show through their application that they strongly and actively continue to meet these four requirements are invited into the society. A thoroughly filled out and on time return of the application is key, students that fail to show through the application that they meet these requirements are not invited to join, these students may very well strongly meet the pillars but if it is not indicated and communicated directly by the student onto the form their application will be denied. Please make sure your eligible student puts as much time into this as they may one day put into a college application.
The application will require a personal essay, and at least two letters of reference. One letter of reference from a teacher of a core course and also a letter of reference from a supervisor of the student. Someone that has observed the candidate in either a service or leadership capacity, or both. Students may wish to determine now who they would like to ask. The application form includes the letter of reference form to give to the adults of choice.
The following process is used to determine who is eligible to become a member of National Honor Society:
- A list of all sophomores, juniors, and seniors with a NGA of at least 92 for all courses completed is made. This is the initial qualification for membership, and after this step, scholarship is not considered.
- These students receive the application form and the teacher recommendation forms. The deadline for applications is announced.
- It is the student’s responsibility to complete the application and turn the recommendation forms over to their teachers and coaches.
- When the announced deadline arrives, the forms are collected. Unless there are extremely mitigating circumstances, any student who does not meet the deadline will be automatically disqualified. When the teacher forms are collected, if a student’s forms are missing, then that student will not be considered for membership. It is the student’s responsibility to get the forms to the teachers promptly so that the teacher can evaluate them.
- The faculty advisors will convene to examine the information and the student applications.
- The students selected will be notified and a list will be posted. The date for the induction ceremony will be announced, and all new inductees and parents are invited to attend.